ABOUT THIS PRESENTATION
This is the first of several FireWise Presentations Fire Safe Sonoma plans on delivering to provide information and guidance for neighborhoods and communities desiring to become Firewise-recognized. Moreover, we will describe how Fire Safe Sonoma can help with the following:
- Help your committee and organizers through the Firewise USA steps and application.
- Liaison with fire agency partners along your path to Firewise accreditation.
- Provide guidance and useful tools to help with completing the community risk assessment.
- Aid in identifying and memorializing the initial home investment required to become accredited.
- Offer workshops and presentation options to help communities meet the Firewise USA education outreach requirements.
- Help with developing and/or identifying worthwhile projects for your community’s multi-year plan.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT NOW?
The California Insurance Commissioner’s Office is making some remarkable moves lately and has created a pathway to lower insurance premiums in a program they call Safer from Wildfires in 1, 2, 3. This program essentially establishes a way for insurance companies to offer financial incentives to homeowners who harden their homes, create and maintain defensible space, and are part of a “Firewise USA community in good standing.”
Moreover, the Firewise USA program is a part of California’s efforts to ensure communities are prepared against wildfire, through the CAL FIRE Office of the State Fire Marshal’s Community Wildfire Preparedness & Mitigation Division.
We plan on having more of these in the future. And if you miss this one, a recording will be available.